When it comes to the Massachusetts housing market in today’s economy, prices are expected to remain steady and buyer’s are at an advantage. Knowing that, what can you do to make your home more attractive to buyers, and more likely to be sold?
If you want to sell your home for the most amount of money in the shortest amount of time then you need to make sure that it looks great. Massachusetts home buyers have their pick of the litter these days so you have to make sure to get their attention. Make your home look terrific inside and out and do a few little extra things to seal the deal.
Here are ten tips for showing off your home so that it sells.
1. Make sure it looks great from the street. You might be surprised by how many home buyers drive past a place, don’t like what they see from the outside and then never even bother to go in and check it out. You want to prevent that problem by doing a bit of clean-up and landscaping to the front of the home. If it has “curb appeal”, it’s a lot more likely to sell. You don’t have to go out of your way to make the exterior stunning but do make sure it’s neat, pretty and freshly painted.
2. Offer something appealing at the entrance of the home. Regardless of what room or entry way your front door opens into, that space needs to be attractive to immediately capture the interest of a potential buyer. An attractive potted plant, a mirror or other tasteful décor is a nice touch here when showing off your home to buyers.
3.De-clutter. If you’re showing off a home that isn’t going to be entirely empty than make sure that you empty it out as much as possible before you show it.You want to get rid of all clutter, reduce the amount of furniture and general limit what is seen in each room.
4. Fresh paint is a must. A freshly painted home looks cleaner, brighter and ready for move-in. It is best to paint in light, bright, neutral colors. This opens up the space and makes it seem airy.
5. Clean your windows. You would be surprised at the difference clean windows do to make a home much more appealing to someone who may want to live there. Clean, clear windows allow more sunlight in and thus create a more inviting space.
6.Double-check that everything in the home works properly. If a potential new home buyer comes into the home, flips a switch and the light doesn’t go on because the bulb is burned out, you may lose the sale of your home. Go through the house and check that all lights work, all appliances are functioning properly, all doors open and close completely without squeaking, etc. This simple check of the home can go a long way towards increasing the chance of a sale.
7. Highlight the best features of the home. Does your home having amazing light fixtures?Make sure that they are shiny and visible. Does it have wonderful molding? Make sure that accent lights direct attention to these features.
8. What’s that smell? Make sure your home smells fresh and clean. Light a candle before a showing to freshen the room. Cinnamon and vanilla are welcoming scents to try.Get the pets out of the house; maybe take them for a walk in the park. Make sure that you’ve cleaned the carpets and aired out the home before you show it off to any potential buyers.
9. Set the temperature to a comfortable level. You want to make sure that the home is nice and cool if it’s the summer so that the people visiting it feel like they’re getting a respite from the heat outside. And if it’s a perfect day outside then open a window or two and let in that nice breeze. You want to show the people who may decide to live here that this is a comfortable home all year long!
10.De-personalize the space….remove excess family photos, collections, and personal items. Although you may love your collection of bubble gum memorabilia, or your room dedicated to BC Football – not everyone has the same appreciation and it can be a distraction to potential buyers. Instead, de-personalize the space and this will allow potential buyers to be able to envision living in the space.
Although there will be an investment to get your house in order to sell, the investment is very worthwhile. Considering that price reductions are usually $5,000-$10,000 each time you have to make an adjustment, a $5,000 investment that gets your house sold quickly is smart!
Real estate transactions involve one of the biggest financial investments most people experience in their lifetime. you should not go at alone, Consult a local Real Estate professional, they can help you evaluate the value of your home, market your home and negotiate with potential buyers, plus many more services.
Have more questions on your homeowners insurance or how to get started on a new policy? Vargas & Vargas Insurance is committed to helping you find the right coverage that will suit your family’s needs and budget. Call us today at 877-550-0025.