Detecting Dangerous Carbon Monoxide Leaks in Your Building

We all know it’s important to have fire alarms installed in your
business premises, and having such safety measures could even help lower the
cost of your business insurance premiums. But have you considered adding carbon
monoxide detectors to your Massachusetts business premises? Carbon monoxide is
a colorless, odorless, tasteless, non-irritating poisonous gas. It can be
difficult to detect, and exposure may cause damage to the heart or brain, or
even death. It is important to take steps to prevent carbon monoxide leaks in
your building.

Carbon monoxide leaks can happen if fuel-burning appliances such as
furnaces, ranges, water heaters, and
gas and kerosene room heaters
malfunction. Engine-powered equipment such as portable generators can also leak
carbon monoxide. Mild symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache,
nausea and blurred vision. Worse symptoms may include confusion, rapid heart
rate and unconsciousness.

Ways to prevent such leaks include having regular checks done on your
fuel-burning appliances, making sure your fresh air intake vents are
unobstructed and checking for signs of a carbon monoxide leak. Signs include
high indoor humidity, or soot collecting near vents. Should you suspect your
building has a carbon monoxide leak, you may need to open windows, shut off any
appliances, and evacuate the building. If you do install carbon monoxide
detectors or other features that improve building safety or security, it might
be a good idea to talk to your insurance agent in Massachusetts to see if the
changes will impact your coverage or the premiums you pay.

*