The city of Boston has been destroyed by large blazes multiple times. The first devastation of fire occurred in 1631; just one year after Boston was officially established.
Here are a few tips to keep you from having to file a fire damage claim on your home insurance.
The first thing you should cement in your mind is to never leave a flame burning where it cannot be seen. Enjoying an aromatherapy session with some scented candles? Even if you need to leave the room for just a moment, blow them out. You never know if something will delay or distract you from returning immediately.
Keep pets, especially agile cats, away from lit candles, scented oil burners, and other open flames. They could bump or knock over the materials, causing a fire that could have been avoided. On the same train of thought, teach your children proper fire safety. Flames and the resulting smoke can be very dangerous.
In case a fire does occur, despite your best efforts to handle flames safely, make sure you have up to date insurance in Boston, MA. Boston boasts median home values above $100,000.
Without coverage, how would you repair or rebuild your home after a fire ravaged your property? Avoid this potential financial burden by requesting a free insurance estimate today and putting your coverage in place.
With Vargas & Vargas Insurance, you can get the coverage you need for your home. Click here to contact us today for more information!
Electricity flows all around us, yet we are so inured to the wonders of electricity and the conveniences it brings that we too often take for granted the hazards of electricity.
When we see a video of a lightning strike, we’re amazed, and maybe a little frightened. But that very dangerous electrical connection that can cause bodily harm and property damage is literally all around us, everyday.
Here are five electrical hazards in your home to be aware of and to check and prevent against catastrophe.
Extension Cords. Electricity seems so safe as we go through our days using it. We plug away with nary a thought of the dangers of electrical shock or fire. Extension cords are the best, and worst, example of our thoughtlessness about electricity.
You find yourself in need of an outlet to plug in your phone charger, vacuum cleaner, a lamp, or cordless drill charger. “Oh! There’s an extension cord right here!” Never mind that cord is loaded with other plugs, and the cord is plugged into another extender from one to three outlets back at the wall plate. So much electricity drawn through such a receptacle builds heat very quickly. It’s the heat that causes the fire, not an electrical spark.
Water Hazards. We have electrical devices and connections we’re using very close to water sources all through our homes. In the kitchen, the bathroom, laundry room, in work rooms, outlets and extension cords and appliances in close proximity to water is a recipe for disaster. The Ground Fault Interrupt (GFI) outlet was designed to minimize these hazards. This outlet has a tripping circuit breaker built into it so there is no delay from the moment a hazard/overload is detected and the source of electricity is shut off. That could be the difference between life and death.
Kids and Pets. You can’t control either one. But you can take extraordinary precaution to prevent the hazards associated with rambunctious little ones. Install tamper-resistant outlets and outlet covers to prevent children’s access with sharp point metal objects. Secure extension cords in such a way to prevent pet nibbling access. Use heavier duty extension cords.
Coffee machines and similar appliances. These devices use high heat to brew or cook. Left unattended and with no beverage/food product left in the device can soon lead to overheating and burning and fire. Be sure your coffee machines and other self-cooking appliances have automatic off features.
Battery-Less Smoke Detectors. Smoke detectors save lives! We often recommend you check the batteries at least once a year and replace with fresh batteries. But checking more often can’t hurt, either.
Please check out our other blogs on claim prevention tips. You can reach us by calling 617-298-0655 or text us at 617-409-0329 for a free, no-obligation annual review.
When there’s a chill in the air, is there anyone who doesn’t enjoy a blazing and crackling fire to warm their home? Whether it’s a fireplace, wood stove, or pellet stove, there’s something cozy and inviting about a fire.
However, to ensure a safe experience it’s important to have your chimney inspected and cleaned on an annual basis or after burning a cord of wood, whichever comes first.
Fires leave a gummy residue, called creosote, which can stick to the lining of your chimney. Creosote is a byproduct of burning wood, pellets, or coal and is created by soot, smoke, gases and other particles.
When you burn wood to produce heat, gasses are produced that do not efficiently burn away. These gases now condense into liquid form. The liquid sticks to the inside of your chimney walls and/or liner. Over time it dries in the form of creosote.
Insidiously, it continues to build up, layering on like a stalagmite, on the surface of your chimney liner or your flue tile every single time you and your family enjoy a fire.
This is a highly flammable substance that can quickly erupt into a blazing chimney fire if subjected to a high enough temperature. That is why it must be removed periodically.
Hiring a chimney sweep is the traditional way to clean the inner surface and restore safety to the home. Chimney sweeps are trained to determine whether chimneys are structurally sound and whether they need to be cleaned. They will make sure the chimney is up to code, especially important in older houses, and make sure there are any birds or animals in the chimney, or anything that would block the flow of smoke. They also check that there’s no water coming into your home.
How Do I Prevent Creosote Build-up?
There are steps you can take at home to reduce creosote buildup and the risk of a chimney fire. Foremost is picking dry wood to burn. Dry wood will appear gray on the surface and have cracks on the end.
Don’t throw pizza boxes or other trash in the fireplace because it causes a thicker smoke, which lowers the temperature in the chimney. While many people use a newspaper to start a fire, it is recommended that a fire log or fire starter should be used instead. This reduces the risk of sparks flying out of the fireplace. Use a screen and stay in the room while the fire is burning.
Don’t forget to check your existing smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers to ensure all are in working order. If your home does not have the prevention devices, please install immediately.
Chimney maintenance is a priority for your property since harmful gases can build up inside the flue. Lethal carbon monoxide also builds up inside the flue, and if there’s damage to the inside of your chimney, this can seep in to your home. Have you chimney checked by a qualified tradesman regularly to ensure your family’s safety.
For information on ensuring your home is covered in case of a chimney fire, contact Vargas & Vargas at 877.550.0025
Fire hazards are everywhere. Yet, we often ignore the danger, or, worse, we’re completely unaware of the lurking, imminent threat of fire breaking out. Fire is a devastating event, inflicting tremendous damage, sever injury and death! Fire can wreak havoc in a fierce, fast, moment.
Smoke detectors are your primary line of defense to protect your life when a fire breaks out.
But you should take the time to carefully inspect your home for hazards that could easily become a threatening event.
Extension Cords Overloaded electrical extension cords cause fire by overheating and exploding in flame. Additionally, they are often near to furniture or draperies that burn rapidly.
Take time to unburden your electrical outlets from overloaded extension cords. If you absolutely must increase utilization of a particular outlet in your house, consider hiring an electrician to upgrade the wiring and quality of that outlet. Install of an outlet with a “Ground Fault Interrupt” (GFI) breaker that shuts the outlet off in the event of overloading.
Consider purchasing a high-quality surge protection power strip with built-in circuit breaker.
Coffee Machines Does your coffee maker have an “Auto-Off” feature? We forget to turn off coffee machines; they continue warming the near-empty carafe, ultimately burning off any remaining liquid, thus creating a fire hazard while you’re away from home.
Circuit Breaker Panel Upgrade When is the last time you asked a Licensed Electrician to inspect the circuit breaker panel in your house to determine its viability for your current needs? A simple inspection and potential upgrade of worn or insufficient breakers can go a long way to presenting a first line of defense against fire hazards.
Lightning Do you have a lightning rod installed on your home? The lightning rod is a simple metal bar that captures a lightning strike and sends the resulting electrical burst harmlessly away from your roof.
Inspect all electrical outlets Be sure there’s no furniture, clothing, newspapers or other flammable objects too close to, or obstructing the electrical outlets around your home. A flimsy fabric accidentally falling on the electrical cord to a lamp can potentially overheat and create an immediate fire situation.