Many people are unsure about their insurance coverage because of many insurance myths.
Knowing what is true can help you make informed decisions about protecting your home, car, or business. Independent insurance brokers can help clear up myths and find the right coverage for you. Here are 10 common insurance myths that we hope to dispel.
Myth #1: I have very few possessions, so I don’t need renters insurance.
First, check the value of your belongings by walking around your home and writing them down. Consider how much it would cost to replace everything if there was a disaster like a fire. You might be surprised by the total amount.
Additionally, your landlord probably requires you to have renters insurance. Even if your belongings aren’t valuable, having renters insurance can help you recover from a disaster more quickly. It can reimburse you for lost items and protect you from liability.
An independent insurance broker can explain the benefits of renters insurance, no matter how much property you have.
Myth #2: My Home Insurance Will Cover My Home-Based Business Fully
Home insurance usually only covers up to $2,500 for your business equipment at home and $250 if it’s taken off-premises. Liability related to your business is often not covered.
You can add endorsements to your home insurance or purchase a separate policy to cover your home-based business. An independent insurance agent can help you find the best coverage for your business.
Myth #3: My Business Is Too Small to Need Insurance
To decide if you need business insurance, consider how much risk your business faces. If you have expensive equipment, store electronic data, or are at risk from environmental threats or lawsuits, you should get insurance. Even small businesses can be sued for injury or property damage, so it’s important to have liability coverage to protect you as the owner.
Myth #4: Only Rich People Need Umbrella Insurance
Many people think that only wealthy individuals face lawsuits or have insurance coverage that can handle such cases. However, this is not true, as there have been documented lawsuits with settlements as high as $525,000 for a single slip-and-fall injury on an icy sidewalk at a condo complex.
Umbrella insurance can increase your existing liability coverage to $1 million or more and can be added to your home insurance or other policies. If you have a pool, trampoline, or an aggressive dog on your property, consider adding umbrella insurance to protect yourself from costly lawsuits. An independent insurance agent can help you determine if this is the right option.
Myth #5: The Life Insurance Provided through Work Is Enough
Employers give life insurance to full-time workers through group policies. If you leave your job or the company ends, you lose your life insurance. Group policies can leave you with too little insurance. Half of Americans with life insurance don’t have enough for final expenses. Experts suggest getting ten times your yearly income in coverage. Get an extra personal policy if your work policy doesn’t cover enough.
Myth #6: Working With An Independent Insurance Broker Is Costly
When you choose to work with an independent insurance broker, it’s essential to understand that our services come at no additional cost to you. You won’t have to worry about paying extra fees or hidden charges for their expertise. Independent insurance brokers are compensated by the insurance companies they work with, so their guidance and assistance are provided to you without any direct financial burden.
Moreover, working with an independent insurance broker offers several significant advantages. We act as your insurance advocate, simplifying the often complex insurance shopping process. Here’s how we do it:
- Quote Comparisons: Independent insurance brokers have access to a vast network of insurance providers. We can obtain quotes from multiple companies, saving you the time and effort of reaching out to each insurer individually. This allows you to compare different policy options and premiums side by side, helping you make an informed decision.
- Clear Explanations: Insurance policies can sometimes be filled with jargon and complex terms. Independent insurance brokers are experts in this field and can break down the intricacies of insurance for you. We’ll provide clear, easy-to-understand explanations of the policy details, coverage options, and any exclusions or limitations. This transparency ensures you know precisely what you’re getting and what’s covered under your chosen policy.
- Tailored Recommendations: Independent insurance brokers take the time to understand your unique insurance needs. We consider your specific circumstances, whether it’s for home, auto, business, or other types of coverage. With this personalized approach, we can recommend insurance options that align with your requirements and budget.
- Advocacy: Should you need to make a claim or encounter any issues with your insurance, we are there to assist you. We act as your advocate, helping you navigate the claims process and ensuring that you receive the support you deserve.
- Annual Evaluation: When your policy is renewing, we will examine it to ensure you still have the best coverage at the most competitive rate. If we find opportunities for improvement, one of our dedicated customer service agents will contact you with expert recommendations.
- Annual Reviews: Working with a local insurance broker offers a significant advantage. When it’s insurance policy renewal time, we’ll thoroughly assess your coverage and rates. If we find a better option from our trusted insurance partners, we’ll provide you with that information. You can then make an informed choice about whether to continue with your current insurer or make a switch.”
In summary, working with an independent insurance broker is a cost-effective and efficient way to secure the right insurance coverage. They offer a wealth of knowledge, access to a wide range of insurers, and a commitment to providing you with the best possible coverage at the best price. Plus, their expertise makes understanding and managing insurance simpler and more straightforward, giving you peace of mind in knowing you’re adequately protected.
You can reach our team by calling 617-298-0655, and one of our customer service representatives will answer your questions and help guide you through today’s intricate insurance world.