With both Arbor Day and Earth Day upon us, it’s time to think about what you are doing to help out this gorgeous planet that we all call home. Going green may be easier than you think, and you can do something to help out the environment in almost every facet of your life.
Here are 10 quick and easy ways that you can save some energy (and some of your hard-earned money) by helping the environment:
- Use Cold Water: Did you know that 85% of the energy used when washing clothes is spent on heating up the water? If you wash in cold more often, you won’t waste all that extra energy!
- Unplug Appliances: Even if an appliance is off, it is using a tiny amount of energy if it is plugged in. Take one extra step and unplug your appliances when they’re not in use to avoid this unnecessary energy loss.
- Manage Your Thermostat: Air conditioning and heating use a lot of energy. If you can keep your thermostat lower in the winter and higher in the summer, you can save energy and save money on your heating and cooling bills!
- Use Green Fixtures: You can save a lot of water by switching to low-flow showerheads and toilets. If you don’t want to switch over your whole house at once, consider trying these in the bathrooms that are used most often.
In the Car
- Use Alternative Transportation: If you can, take a walk or bike to the place that you are going. Also remember, you can sometimes save money on your car insurance by driving less!
- Make Less Trips: Instead of doing errands one at a time, make an effort to do one errand trip a week. It may seem like a hassle, but you will save a lot of gas.
- Drive Smart: When you do need to get in the car, make sure that you do your best to drive in an energy efficient manner.
- Turn Off Your Electronics: At the end of the day, make sure that all of your hardware is fully powered down. Sleep mode will save a little power, but fully shut down electronics are much greener.
- Save Paper: If you need to print something, make sure that you use both sides of the paper. Also, make sure that paper is recycled instead of just thrown out.
- Get a Plant: A little greenery will brighten up your office, and it is appropriate with Arbor day right around the corner. Having some greenery at the office also serves many other purposes. A plant will help filter the air you breathe, and can even absorb indoor air pollution!
Do you see how easy it is to help the earth? Even if you only pick out a few of these methods to try out, you will be saving precious resources and helping fuel the green movement. Also, remember that we at Vargas and Vargas Insurance want to help you save on your insurance policies! For a free quote or evaluation, call one of our great team members at 877-550-0025 today!